Q:I really enjoy the things you post, I was wondering if you could recommend any blogs similar to yours? I'm trying to get some more awareness/ social justice posts on my dash. Thanks!
That’s a good question, and I was just thinking about giving a shout out to some of the social justice blogs I frequently reblog, so here goes:
- http://motherjones.tumblr.com/ is the tumblr of Mother Jones, the leftist magazine, and they get tumblr, everything is bite-sized and image-driven.
- http://huffingtonpost.tumblr.com/ is also a solid tumblr of that great news magazine, as is http://guardian.tumblr.com/, the tumblr of a leftish British news mag. Also, http://utnereader.tumblr.com/ is a great tumblr of that mag as well. Finally, http://theatlantic.tumblr.com/; though The Atlantic is not a leftist/social justice mag by any stretch of the imagination, their Tumblr does post a lot of fact-driven information useful to a social justice blogger.
- http://earth911.tumblr.com/ is a great blog about recycling/sustainability, as are http://mothernaturenetwork.tumblr.com/ and http://earthfix.tumblr.com/. http://smartercities.tumblr.com/ is a great blog about sustainable urban development.
- http://mycuentame.tumblr.com/ is a great blog on immigration and latino rights issues.
- http://sunfoundation.tumblr.com/ and http://good.tumblr.com/ are two philanthropy-based tumblrs I really like.
- All the STFU blogs are great to follow, too. My favorites: http://stfusexists.tumblr.com/; http://stfuracists.tumblr.com/ (no longer running, sadly); http://stfuhomophobes.tumblr.com/, and http://stfuconservatives.net/ (obviously very partisan, but they do their homework).
- http://socialuprooting.tumblr.com/ is one of my favorite homegrown SJ blogs.
- http://leftish.tumblr.com/ is a blog I’ve been following for years, run by a super-smart person. She hasn’t been very active lately, but I hope she comes back on soon. There’s pages and pages of content there. http://greenstate.tumblr.com/ is also a great, homegrown SJ blog, as is http://mommapolitico.tumblr.com/, and http://descentintotyranny.tumblr.com/.
- http://fuckyeahplannedparenthood.tumblr.com/ is a good one for anti-war on women stuff.
- http://thisisnotafrica.tumblr.com/ is a blog I just recently started following, but it seems to be a very solid on the important subject of the co-optation of African culture by Western entities.
- http://phroyd.tumblr.com/ is one of the only psychoanalysis blogs I know of on here, but posts a lot of great social justice-themed stuff, as well as some very NSFW content, so… beware ;-).
I also get a lot (most?) of my content from elsewhere on the internets. Here is a link to my professional website which contains my own personal statement of social justice philosophy + some sites I highly recommmend:
Thanks for the great question! I’ll update this answer if I find/think of more!